“We pray for all considering abortion. We pray that the love and kindness of those around them would support pregnant women everywhere to continue with their pregnancy and find peace and joy in what the future holds. Lord hear us”
“As we begin this season of Lent, we offer up the merits of our daily sacrifices to the needs of the most vulnerable in society. We offer them especially for the poor, the lonely and the unborn. That the Lord would see their needs and pour out his love and blessing upon them. Lord hear us”
“We pray for all unborn children diagnosed with disabilities, we pray for their protection and that of their mothers from the pressures of society to have an abortion, and that they would instead experience overwhelming love and support from all who surround them. Lord hear us”
– “We pray for all women going through unexpected pregnancies, that they would experience peace and support in their situations, and experience the many blessings that motherhood brings. Lord hear us”
July: May we never grow weary of following the Gospel path of serving others with joy and humility, O Lord. May we give witness to all young people by being attentive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
For Summer Days: Father of all Creation, thank you for this day. May I treat with respect and kindness your beautiful, natural surroundings as well as all whom I may meet this day. Through the majesty of the natural world, may I sense even just a bit of your great glory. Help me to savour these summer days and make time for prayer, reflection and recreation. Amen. (Terence Hegarty)
beachy head chaplaincy team
Five Finger Prayer For Lent
- Your thumb is nearest you. So, begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones is, as C. S. Lewis once said, a ‘sweet duty.’
- The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.
- The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God’s guidance.
- The fourth finger is our ring finger. Surprising to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.
- Lastly comes our little finger, the smallest finger of all, which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, ‘The least shall be the greatest among you.’ Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time you have prayed for the other four groups, your own needs will be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.
Prayers during a time of flu and illness
General Prayer for Health
Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Chris beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in all hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
Prayer for those in authority
Loving God, in Christ Jesus, the servant of all, you call us to the services of others. Grant to those who govern the community the skill to recognise its urgent needs and the strength to pursue the common good. Endow us all with patience and courage, that we may care for the suffering, feed the hungry, shelter the homeless and sustain the needy. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Prayer for health staff
Wondrous God, author of life, you fashioned us in your likeness and breathed into us the life which is your own. Be with those whose special care is the health of mind and body. Fill their hearts with awe for the life which is your gift and sustain them daily in your service, that their hands may bring to others the comfort of your healing touch. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer for those affected
Merciful God, come to the help of your people. Be our shelter in this time of peril and strengthen the bonds of our community. Bring healing to all those who suffer the ravages of disease and assist those who skill and art can put an end to this affliction. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
O God, our refuge and our shield, even when we walk in the shadow of death you are there at our side. Be with your people in this time of danger: bring strength to the afflicted and protection to those untouched by the disease. Give us love and courage, that we may trust in your power to save and reach out to all who need our care. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.